Saturday, May 11, 2013

It wasn’t Sky screaming that woke me up this morning, but her silence. I’ve gotten so used to that noise waking me up at the same time very day that the quiet was somehow even more alarming. I ran straight to her room, and saw her lying on her bed. When I asked if she was alright, she said yes, but refused to speak beyond that. Since it seemed trying to get anything else out of her was pointless, I went back to my room and started working.

A few hours later, Sky came into my room. Without a word, she walked around my desk, sat down in my lap, and tried curling up like a large cat.

D: “Sky, what are you doing?”

S: “Nothing. What are you doing?”

D: “I’m trying to write this email. I need to send it out to our drivers distributing supplies.”

S: “Why? They’re going to die.”

D: “I hope we can catch Arkady before he starts to kill our drivers as well….”

S: “No. We don’t. We’re all going to die.” *She started swatting at keys on my keyboard, creating strings of gibberish in the email.* “I’m going to die. You’re going to die. All of us are going to die.”

I didn’t know what to say to that. So I sat there and watched as she filled more of my email with random letters.

She had filled an entire page when Ahriman stormed in. He paused when he saw Sky, and seemed to take a moment to calm down before proceeding forward and slamming a huge binder on my desk.

A: “Sort through these. Now.”

*I cannot begin to stress how massive the binder was. It could have been used for weight lifting.*

D: “Are… these all casualties?”

A: “No. Worse.” *He brought out another binder, also large, but not quite as huge as the first.* “These are casualties. These,” *He slammed his hand on the first binder,* “are defections.”

*I flipped through it quickly. A lot of proxies had just run off when they didn’t think their superiors were looking. More of the gangs who were supposed to work for us were breaking away. I even saw a few police officers listed. Worst of all, that cult town I’d visited had driven out the proxy sent to collect tribute from them, and were ignoring all our attempts to get back into contact. Ahriman had begun ranting again, so I just got back to work.*

A: “I don’t know what’s worse, the cowards running like whipped dogs or the foolish vultures thinking they can start picking us apart! The police have begun arresting proxies! Right off the street! What the hell are we paying them for? Just because a few of us have been killed, they think they can turn on us with no consequence? We are facing one man! Just a single man with a few improvised weapons! He is nothing! He is a single pebble when compared to Father!”

*Sky suddenly sat up in my lap and tilted her head to the side.*

S: “Why do you call him Father?”

*The sudden change of subject caught Ahriman off guard, but I don’t think he was going to give up the chance to monologue to a willing audience. Soon he was talking again, this time with a hint of pride in his voice.*

A: “Because we are his children. He has chosen all of us to fulfill his greater plans. We are his instruments, and he provides us with guidance so that we may better serve him.”

I’m sure he would have gone on longer, but Sky started laughing at him. She fell off my lap and started rolling on the floor, laughing so hard that she was coughing and crying. Ahriman quickly fled the room, and I got on my knees to try and calm her down. She wrapped her arms around me, and kept laughing until her laughs turned into sobs.

S: “I don’t want to die! Why do we have to die?”

I held onto her until her crying stopped and she fell asleep. She’s on the couch now, still napping. Poor girl probably needs it more than the rest of us.

God I hope she doesn’t end up being right about this as well.

14 comments:

  1. Proxies dropping like flies everywhere. Its glorious really.

    You might want to defect too when you get the chance. Or you know, ask for a transfer. Or something. I hear Mexico is nice this time of the year.

    Because Sky is right, you're all gonna die.<x3

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..........dammit. Why the hell do you have to keep reminding me that you're all human? God... I should want you all to die, but I don't. The thought sickens me. I don't want anyone to die. But maybe that's just me being naive.

    -Ash

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm. Sky's the one that Slendy's got the creepy obsession with. Do you think if I killed her instead of all these nameless grunts, he'd finally come out of hiding and let me punch him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you serious, Arkady?

      Diana, I don't give a shit about the system and proxy bureaucracy falling to pieces, no offence. But if he's serious, you might want to take Sky and get the fuck out of there.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  4. I feel bad for the girl, I really do, the truth is really hard to handle sometimes, especially for a child, but at least she knows, that all of us are going to die eventually.

    This Ahriman character, is so delusional, I mean he really thinks Master chose us as his "Children"? I understand why the girl started laughing, I would have too. It is not Slendy who chose us, it is us who follow him, and he simply allows us to.

    Once our amusement value runs out, he is coming after all of us, being a proxy simply prolongs your existence, or simplifies it. But why am I rambling about this? As if it wasn't clear already.

    I am also amused to see how an organization falls, when someone starts pulling the right strings.

    Amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you ever wondered, in his apparently infinite and unfathomable power, why god didn't just simply take back the knowledge the apple had given to Adam and Eve?

    Where does God's power end... and his hate for us began?

    Why did he just leave us here with this great and terrible knowledge that we're going to die?

    Why...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What the fuck is this? Are you a philosopher now?

      Get back to work.

      Delete