Friday, January 25, 2013

Second Interview

Because I couldn’t get many answers from Sky in my last interview, I decided to look for help when I tried again. Lepidus has always been better with people than me, so I told him about what I was trying to do, and he agreed to help me question Sky.

Lepidus and I sat down with Sky during a break from work, and set up the recorder.

S: “I still don’t remember what he tells me.”

L: “That’s alright, we’re not going to ask you about that this time.” *Sky nodded, and Lepidus went on.* “How have you been feeling? We’ve had several changes lately, and I want to make sure you’re adapting.”

S: “I like the new person. Dumas. He’s nice. And I don’t mind not eating as much as we used to.”

L: “That’s good. You and Dumas seem to be getting along well.”

S: “He’s like you two. He doesn’t hurt me. And he tells me about what he did before this. It’s really interesting!”

L: “Oh? What did he do!”

S: “He went to business school!”

*I’d been quiet so far, but I had to speak there.*

D: “Business school is… interesting?”

S: “Yeah! There’s a cafeteria where you can eat as much food as you want, and there’s always lots of people around, and the grownups help you and teach you stuff, and no one dies!”

D: “……..Yeah, okay, that actually does sound better than our life here.”

*Lepidus chuckled*

L: “Well, I’m glad that everything seems fine with you. Now, I was wondering if I could as you something?” *Sky seemed to tense up, but Lepidus continued.* “It’s not about what happens at night. I want to ask you about yourself.”

*Sky relaxed, but still looked uncertain. She nodded once*

L: “Thank you, Sky. I was wondering if you could tell me how you met Slender Man?”

*Sky paused to think for over a minute before answering.*

S: “I don’t… remember very much. It’s all foggy. It was a long time ago. I don’t know how long. We lived in… the countryside? I think it might have been a farm… maybe….” *Her eyes got really distant, and I’m not sure if she even remembered we were there as she kept speaking.* “There was a lake in the woods. It was frozen because of the winter. I was… sad about… something, so I went to the lake. I went to where the ice was thin, and waited for it to crack.” *She began to shiver violently.* “It was so cold, and, and, I couldn’t breathe, and….” *Lepidus put his arm around her shoulder, and repeated that it was okay, we were here for her, until she calmed down.*

L: “Can you tell me what happened next?”

S: “I heard something… in my head. It asked me a question, but I didn’t understand it. And then I felt something grab me and pull me out.” *Another long pause, and when she started to speak it was only just above a whisper.* “That was the first time I saw him. He warmed me with the burning heat from his hands. He kept… not talking, but like it… into my head.”

L: “What did he say?”

*Yet another silence that stretched on for a while.*

S: “I don’t remember how I got back to my house, but when I woke up I was at the front door.”

*I whispered to Lepidus if we were going to ask her about avoiding the question, but he shook his head, and let Sky keep talking.*

S: “My parents shouted at me for leaving the house. Then they shouted at each other. Then at me again when I told them what happened. They kept shouting, until I wished they would go away….” *Sky mumbled something too quiet for the recorder to catch.*

L: “I’m sorry Sky, but what was that?”

S: “I said And then they did!” *A loud slam from her banging her fists on the table.* “He took them away! Like how he took James away! And how he’ll take both of you away!”

*Looked it up after the interview. James was the name of the dead boy the police found.*

L: “Sky, calm down….”

S: “No!” *She grabbed a chair, and swung it at Lepidus when he tried to reach out to her.* “Stay away from me! Don’t touch me!” *She started to swing the chair against the wall, and kept doing so until she was too tired to lift it, and started crying. Lepidus and I carried her back to her room, and then started to clean up.*



Got some more out of her that time, but most of it’s only raised more questions for me. Looks like we’ll be doing this again some other time.

3 comments:

  1. Really? That's your go to?

    "We'll be doing this one again some other time."

    Not

    "I've decided this might be the wrong approach."

    Or

    "Poor sky, I'm not sure I can put her through that again."

    You're just gonna go with

    "We'll be doing this one again some other time."

    God damn are you ruthless and relentless in digging your nails into her past.

    Might you be interested in a change of scenery? I think I might want a... whatever the hell you are.

    Accountant? I could always use more of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alright, so maybe I'm not doing this in the most sympathetic way I could. I was hoping Lepidus could help more with the niceness part. But to be fair, Sky shouting at us and beating a wall with a chair isn't uncommon behavior for her, even when we're not asking about her past. I just want to know why. Maybe I can help her after that?

      Delete
    2. I don't understand what else you think you're gonna get out of her. She's already drawn a rather clear picture.

      I would be careful about how you pester the poor thing. Never know what might happen to you if you over press her and she 'wishes you would go away'.

      If you absolutely must keep hounding her, practice some actual therapy. Just have her talk. See what comes up on its own.

      Delete