Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Truth's Questions

Yesterday was not a good day. When Sky woke me up, it was with crying, not screaming. I looked in her room, and saw a cat on the floor, with its stomach ripped open and its organs trailing out. Somehow it was still alive, and twitching in pain. I got Sky out of the room as fast as I could. I don’t want her having to look at that. She kept crying, and all I could do was give her a hug as the room was cleaned out.

That would have been bad enough, but several hours later Ahriman arrived.

He walked right through our door to my desk, and dropped a manila envelope in front of me.

A: “Truth has learned of your interviews with Sky. He has created a list of questions that he wants you to ask her.”

Di: “Can this wait for another time? She’s not feeling good right now….”

*He glared at me in response.*

Di: “Alright, fine, I’ll try. Though I don’t think she’ll be willing to answer.”

*I opened the envelope to look at the questions. They were things like, “In what manner does the Slender Man transmit information?” or “How long has it visited every night, and for what duration are the visits?” or “Are any humans repeatedly mentioned during its visits?”*

Di: “Why can’t Truth just ask the Boss these questions?”

A: *His glare became harsher.* “I did not question Truth when he gave me these orders, and you will not question him either. Perform your interview. I will observer and record a copy of the responses for Truth.”

As much as I may have disliked it, it didn’t look like I really had a choice in the matter. I pulled Sky aside, and set up everything for an interview, with Ahriman watching. She wasn’t happy about it, especially since I’d told her I wasn’t going to be interviewing her again.

I started to read the questions Truth had given me, but hadn’t even finished the first before Sky interrupted me.

S: “Who gave you that list of questions?”

Di: “Um… Truth did. He wanted me to ask you them.”

Suddenly Sky lunged across the table, knocking the recorder over. I thought she was going to attack me, but instead she grabbed the paper out of my hands. She ripped it to pieces, then threw the pieces on the ground. Ahriman moved to stop her, but she screamed at him, and he decided to leave her alone.

After stomping on the shredded pieces of paper for a bit, Sky stormed off to a different part of the apartment. Ahriman looked like he really wanted to say something, but chose to leave without another word.

I thought that was the end of it, but this morning I got a slightly more satisfying conclusion to the incident. A proxy I hadn’t met before dropped off a letter for me when the paperwork came in today. I checked the bottom, and saw Truth’s signature.

“Dear Diana,

I apologize for what happened yesterday. After learning of your interviews with Sky, I had hoped that she had gained enough emotional stability for further investigation. Unfortunately, this was not the case. Had I know how she would have reacted to my questions, I would have never asked you to perform the interview and put yourself in harm’s way.

Please continue to care for Sky as best you can. She suffers more than most of us, but even her suffering has a purpose toward a larger goal.

Sincerely,
Truth.”

At least he’s nice enough to send an apology. And with that I hope I can put this whole matter to rest.

1 comment: